With the explosive growth of the volume, variety, velocity and veracity of data in the past decade, the needs for data analytics and AI-based predictive systems sparked new product and service offerings across disciplines from finance, business, automobile, manufacturing, healthcare, city planning and even homeland security. Governments and commercial organizations have been investing a huge amount of money and human resources in developing data analytic applications to capitalize its benefits. For instance, analyze customer behavior data to improve the hit rate of cross-selling and up-selling; determine customers' lifestyle and their preferences by deep mining all relevant data, structured or unstructured, including billing records, application forms, social media messages and mobile Internet browsing behavior. The goal is to ensure a better understanding of their customers over their rivals and secure the lead in the competition.
The course comprises of the following modules:
- Data Science Fundamentals (24 hours)
- Data Mining with R (24 hours)
- Data Analytics and Visualization (24 hours)
- Machine Learning Applications in Data Science (24 hours)
- Deep Learning with Tensorflow (24 hours)
- AI for Predictive Analytics (24 hours)
- Five HKDSE subjects at Level 2 or above, including English and Chinese Languages, plus at least one year of relevant work experience, or equivalent; or
- Five HKCEE subjects at Grade E/Level 2 or above, including English and Chinese Languages, plus at least two years of relevant work experience, or equivalent; or
- Completion of a QF Level 3 programme that is deemed acceptable to the respective Programme Board plus at least one year of relevant work experience; or
- Relevant RPL qualification(s) at QF Level 3 or above plus at least one year of relevant work experience AND a pass in an entrance assessment, which can be either oral or written; or
- At least two years of relevant work experience plus other relevant verifiable prior learning that are deemed appropriate by respective Programme Board AND a pass in an entrance assessment, which can be either oral or written.
Mature applicants, i.e. those aged 21 or above with at least two years’ relevant working experience, may be admitted. Where appropriate, the applicant may be required to pass an entrance assessment, which can be in an oral and/or written form.
Financial Assistance Scheme
To encourage working adults to pursue higher qualifications for career advancement, and to promote vocational and professional education and training (VPET) in Hong Kong, Vocational Training Council (VTC) has obtained funding from HKSAR to support the Vplus Creative Industries Subsidy Scheme. This scheme provides practitioners in the creative industries with tuition fee subsidy for successful application of their study of the designated part-time programmes offered by VTC.
Under Vplus Creative Industries, programmes eligible for the tuition fee subsidy are part-time self-financed programmes in the disciplines of Design and Information Technology. These programmes are accredited at Qualification Framework (QF) Level 3 to Level 5 by the Hong Kong Council of Accreditation of Academic and Vocational Qualifications (HKCAAVQ), excluding Associate Degree and bachelor’s degree programme, under the following areas of study and training classified by Qualifications Register (QF):
Architecture and Town Planning
Arts, Design and Performing Arts
Computer Science and Information Technology
Successful applicants will be refunded 60% of the tuition fee paid, subject to maximum of HK$36,000 per person. Applicants may apply for fee refund for more than one eligible programmes.
Can students apply for Vplus Creative Industries and other subsidies (e.g. CEF, ENLS, etc) for the same programme?
No. Applicants cannot apply for or receive any other form of government subsidy or financial assistance, or subsidy from employer.
When can students get the reimbursement?
Successful applicants will be reimbursed upon successful completion of the programme. Reimbursement amount will be calculated based on the actual tuition fee paid for the modules. It will be granted on a first-come-first-served basis.
Reimbursement will normally be made by direct credit to the bank account nominated by the successful applicant, in April, August and October.
All places are allocated on a first-come-first-served basis. Incomplete forms and forms received without payment will be regarded as unsuccessful applications.Deadline for Application7 working days (Exclusive of Saturdays) prior to class commencement date.Notification of Class Commencement Successful applicants will be notified of the class information by the contact method specified on the enrollment form at least 3 working days before class commencement. Please contact us if you do not receive the notification before the class commencement (Tel.: 2436-8588).Course Fees/Receipt Course fees paid are also non-refundable, except for cases of unsuccessful applications and course cancellation or rescheduling. Fees paid and places enrolled are also not transferable, and request for course swapping will not be entertained.
[Vplus Creative Industries (as CITSS)]
By Online Application
1. Press the “Apply Online” button at the right-top corner of this page
2. Complete the Online Form
3. Upload the supporting documents required (e.g. for academic qualifications and work experiences)
4. Settle the tuition fee (by crossed cheque payable to “Vocational Training Council”)
5. Submit the cheque to our office by post or in person. Your full name and the course applied should be written on the back of the cheque or the receipt.
Our office address: Department of Information Technology, Room C440, 20 Tsing Yi Road, Tsing Yi Island, N.T. (Attn: Professional Course)
Enrollment and Enquiry
Dr. Johnny CHENG